Dr. Rajah Sir Muthiah Chettiar, former Pro-Chancellor of the Annamalai University, founded this institution in memory of his father, Dr. Rajah Sir Annamalai Chettiar in the year 1956. The institution is governed by the Rajah Muthiah Chettiar Charitable and Educational Trust and the Governing Council is headed by industrialist and philanthropist, Shri. M. A. M. R. Muthiah. The College is a govt-aided institution providing technical education and training to men and women at post-secondary school level.
“Students Learn by Doing” is the motto of the institution.
The institution is located in Chettinad on the Chennai-Rameshwaram main line of Southern Railway between the Trichy and Karaikudi junctions. It is located on the Trichy-Karaikudi Trunk Road, 80km from Trichy and 15km from Karaikudi. It is 1km from the Chettinad railway station and 1.5km from the Kanadukathan bus stand.
The institute stands in the midst of a vast stretch of land measuring 33.15 hectares suitable for field work and outdoor games.
From June 1979, the institution has been extending its services to the rural community around the college under the Community Polytechnic Scheme identified by the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Govt. of India.
The institution has also had the privilege of being one of the project polytechnics in the World Bank assisted Second Technician Education Project. The institution has been selected for replication of the Canada India Institutional Cooperation Project (CIICP) initiatives. The Entrepreneurship & Management Development (EMD) Cell, sponsored by AICTE, New Delhi is also extending its services to the rural community through its Community Development through Polytechnics (CDTP) Scheme, sponsored by the Ministry of Skill Development, Govt. of India.
With the aim to continuously upgrade the quality of teaching-learning and the deliverables, the management has equipped the college with latest technology and equipment. The computer and the language labs were initiated in the year 2017-18.
Two fully furnished hostel blocks for boys provide comfortable living spaces to our students. The hostels have been renovated recently to suit the present needs.
Regular workshops are arranged for students to create a greater sense of self awareness and thereby build their confidence. Scholarships are provided for deserving students under different categories. Placement support is offered to successful students.
Our Vision and Mission
- To provide for and promote education in the fields of engineering and technology.
- To collate and disseminate in such fields, effective ideas, methods, techniques and information which are likely to promote the material and industrial welfare of India.
- To train young men and women eager to create and put into action such ideas, methods, techniques and information.
- Acquiring academic autonomy in order to increase the employability of the students.
- Assuring quality education by qualifying for NBA Accreditation / ISO Certification.
- Creating institutionalized linkages with industry.
- Closely associating with professional institutions / bodies.
- Responding to the changing trends of industries and the community.
- Intelligent use of Management Information Systems.
- Development of extension services like continuing education, consultancy, collaboration with other institutions / organizations etc.
- Developing avenues for resource generation and optimal use of existing facilities.
- Setting up a “CENTRE OF EXCELLENCE” in the emerging areas of engineering and technology.
- Enhancing student services, curricular, co-curricular and extra-curricular and recreational activities.
- Continuous professional enrichment of staff members and emphasis on team effort, committed leadership etc.
- Promoting environmental awareness and initiatives.
- Trusting in higher, ethical moral values and creating an environment of accessibility and equity.